Friday, January 23, 2009

My Private Storefront


The fireplace mantle has become my version of window dressing.

I change it every few months. In October, I removed three beautiful ink landscapes of Manhattan icons off the mantle: the Circle Line, the Brooklyn Bridge and a velvety depiction of the Manhattan skyline. Do not fear, one remains on the mantle (the Brooklyn Bridge, of course) and the other two have propped themselves against a different wall to join a wonderful collection of books.

I became infatuated with the Chinese bookends and the color is irresistible. I convinced my husband that these bookends are quite practical: they hold up books AND double as art. He didn’t seem too convinced.

And, of course, the window is never complete without a smattering of good words: Ayn Rand, Peter Mayle, Ha Jian and Pearl S. Buck are just a few who I adore.

No comments: